At Falmouth Dental Arts we love New Year’s Resolutions. After all, the new year is a great time to start fresh with some good habits.
But the problem with New Year’s Resolutions is that they are usually broken way before Groundhog Day. Why? We simply make them too darn difficult. So 2013 may not be the year you lose 220 pounds, visit the gym six times per week, eat kale shakes for breakfast every morning, write the Great American Novel and train a world class Portuguese Water Dog. But it very well may be the year you start some healthy habits that last the rest of your longer, healthier life!
Here are a few suggestions:
1) Walk, Don’t Run! If you’re the type that can train for a local 10K race, that’s great. But if it’s not your thing, you can still benefit from more walking. Here’s a simple way to make it happen. Whenever you are faced with a situation to use an elevator or escalator, make it your personal rule that if it is one flight up or two flights down, you’ll take the steps. It’s easy!
2) Don’t cruise the lot! Instead of spending your time looking for a “great” parking space, park a little far away intentionally. You’ll not only get in a few extra steps (which will amount to a few miles soon!) – your car will get less dinged up!
3) Know Your Numbers! Make sure that you get an annual physical which includes a blood test. Knowing your cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and other vital statistics, and then taking the proper measures recommended by your physician will automatically put you in the top half of healthy Americans!
4) Test Yourself! It has been proven that knowing how to do a breast or testicular self-exam can save your life. (If you’re not sure which one to do, your problem is a bit more complicated.) Ask your health practitioner how to do it, or even check out a video on You Tube!
5) Drop The Diet! No – not the healthy eating pattern – the diet soda!! It contains all kinds of chemicals and many people theorize it actually makes you hungrier. There is simply nothing good about diet soda. Switch to water, unsweetened tea with lemon, or even black coffee in moderation.
6) Speaking Of Soda….. One of the simplest things anyone can do to become immediately healthier is to go cold turkey on sodas and sports drinks. They are loaded with sugar and are simply unnecessary. If all you do to change your diet is to drop these two things, pounds can actually melt off quickly and never come back!
7) Think positively! It may sound trite, but if you believe good things are going to happen, they probably will. Seeing the worst in every situation simply stresses you out and causes you to react negatively. Those who think happy usually are!
8) Do what scares you! Pick one thing that you have been afraid to do, and commit to it. Put it on your calendar. Tell your friends or family members that you are going to do it. Then do it!! It could be a polar bear plunge, skydiving, a trip to Europe, quitting your job, reuniting with an old friend you had a fight with – it doesn’t matter! Pick one thing, put it on your calendar, and do it! Then do another……
9) Appreciate What You Have and Don’t Envy Others. Enough said! Pull this one off successfully and your entire life will change!
10) FLOSS!! The benefits of healthy gums are numerous, including fresher breath, a lifetime of teeth, reduced risk of heart disease and diabetes, and many more. It’s simple to do and takes just one minute per day, yet practically no one does it! If you’re not sure how to floss properly, we would love to show you! Even if you feel you are not coordinated enough, we can show you some inexpensive gadgets that will help. Make 2013 the year of the floss!!
So there you have it – ten simple healthy New Year’s tips that anyone can do!! Feel free to add you own. And since dental health and a beautiful smile are also on your list, don’t forget that we are here for you! If you have any questions or need to make an appointment, simply give us a call at 7-207-781-5900. Happy New Year!!