Dental implants are a replacement or substitute tooth roots, used to replace natural tooth roots in areas of the mouth where teeth are missing. Dental implants have a lot of advantages in comparison to having dentures or bridges. Dentists indicate that when a patient has missing teeth, it’s important to have bone preservation. Dental implants allow this by being embedded in the bone, which will preserve the bone. Often, what occurs with missing teeth is the bone deteriorates. This creates some changes in a person’s facial appearance. The advantage of dental implants is since the dental implant will replace the natural tooth root it will be attached to the bone like a natural tooth.
Dental implants are stronger and last longer and appear to be more effective in comparison to bridges and dentures. Bridges and dentures often can be loose and unstable. Other advantages of dental implants include:
- Not distinguishable from other teeth. So, the implants do not stand out in a person’s mouth. Dental implants are close in appearance to a natural tooth.
- More comfortable and convenient for a person. A person with dental implants does not have to worry about having to remove dentures on a daily basis. Dental implants are permanent.
- Ease of eating. Often, people complain about the difficulties with dentures of eating food. Since dental implants are permanent, you don’t have to worry about dentures falling out.
- Improved oral health. If a person gets a bridge, they may have to reduce other teeth. However, dental implants would not require any reduction in teeth. All other teeth will remain intact.
- Durability. As mentioned, dental implants last a long time and may last a lifetime for many people
- 95% success rate with dental implants. Dental implants are small fixtures and they are often not rejected by the body.